Mold and moisture mitigation is essential in the Pacific Northwest. The tips below can help you improve your indoor air quality (IAQ) and keep you and your family healthy! Mold needs moisture and warmth to grow. Here are some ways to mitigate its growth:
- Vacuum and clean regularly with a vinegar solution (more green cleaning tips here).
- Check plants, furnishings, or stored items for mold before bringing them into your home
- Properly ventilate kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry areas with exhaust fans or opening windows.
- Promptly clean up spills, condensation, wet surfaces or any other source of moisture.
- Make sure the walls and attic of your home are properly insulated.
- Regularly inspect your home for leaks, discoloration, or wet spots and repair them.
- Increase warm air flow by moving large objects a few inches away from the inside of exterior walls.
- If you do see mold growth, clean the area with detergent, mild bleach, or call a professional cleaning service.
Read more from the Washington State Department of Health.