Before the weather gets too harsh, make sure you check the exterior of your home for any repair needs:
- Gutters – clean them and ensure downspouts are effectively moving water away from your house.
- Foundation – gaps in window caulking, cracks in masonry, or cracks around doors could signal the need for foundation repair.
- Crawl space – check the condition of your moisture barrier and close crawl-space vents.
- Hoses – detach outdoor hoses, drain the water, and move them inside before the first freeze.
- Roof – make sure no shingles are missing or loose, look for dips, and consider an inspection if your roof is over 20 years old.
- Don’t forget to check to see if your neighborhood storm drains are clear of debris.